Tuesday

Why don't men want to have long term relationships?

Water leak in MX5 fixed. Drove back from Tavistock via Gunnislake. Huge seas at Whitsands. Sea mostly white. One of my Spanish students has got himself a job as a food runner in an Italian restaurant. He wants to improve his English. 

Today was my turn to take the conversation class. Two young Turkish girls, one blonde, one ballet dancer. Two Italian girls, one young and beautiful, the other 29 years old and obsessive. One Thai girl and one Korean.  After we had all introduced ourselves, the Turkish ladies wanted to talk about men, goodness knows why. 

“Ben, we want to know why men are always immature. Why don’t men want to have long term relationships?”

“Because it is unnatural. Think of lions and their prides. Think of the more enlightened people such as the Turks with their harems. It is natural for a decent healthy man to mate with as many females as possible in order to safeguard the moral well-being of the human race…”

“When I meet a nice handsome man," observed the ballet dancer.  "I am like the cat and the mouse, the dog and the cat. I pretend not to notice him. I run away. It makes him crazy for me…”

“I am very jealous of my boyfriend," said the Korean lady.  "If he goes out with his friends, I am very angry.  I cannot say anything but inside I am furious…”

“I am not jealous,” remarked the Thai girl. “I like freedom so I must give him freedom as well.”

"Freedom!" said the older Italian girl bitterly.  "I hate this word.  Always my ex boyfriend use this word.  Then I find out he have another girl....."

"I want to talk about ghost," said the Korean girl.  “Has anyone here ever seen a ghost?”

“Yes,” said the Thai girl. “I was stay at my friend house in Thailand. I was sleeping when I felt someone shaking my leg like this.” She reached across and shook my thigh. “When I open my eyes, I see a man standing there. A shape of a dark man with big, big eyes. When I look at him again, I cannot see him. I was very afraid and cannot go back to sleep again.”

No comments: