Tuesday


30 October
Today, at last, the weather seems to have changed. It is now hot and sunny. This morning the electricity failed. Since almost all plumbing in Thailand is reliant on electric pumps to maintain the water pressure, there was also very little water. Electricity in my apartment was restored after only one hour but when I went to town for breakfast, I found that none of the restaurants had power – so no coffee, toast etc.

Today, June, Dook and Mina (despite many promises, she still hasn’t left yet) are going to Koh Phi Phi. I shall be left in blessed peace at last.

This afternoon, June and Dook went to Koh Phi Phi. Mina did not go. At the last minute she changed her mind and said that she was going home to Pattani instead and would never see me again.

However, as I write this at 10.45pm, she is still here…

Towards the middle of the afternoon, the weather changed its mind and decided to rain solidly for 4 hours. Today I spent 340 baht – 260 baht on food and 80 baht on petrol. Mina told me that I was stupid to buy petrol in the afternoon.

“You should buy petrol early in the morning, about 7 o’clock,” she said. “You will save about 20 baht because it is cooler so the gasoline doesn’t evaporate away when you fill the tank.”

No comments:

Blog Archive