Thursday


28 November
A lazy day. When I went to bed last night, it was hot. When I woke up in the early hours, it was freezing cold. That’s what you get when you live in a city of concrete. As a result, I felt slightly under the weather this morning. My company rang me to say that my class this evening was cancelled.

I met Mario the Italian at Pi Baby’s café.

“I am as sick as a dog!” he complained. “This weather is making me have a fever and I can not sleep. I don’t want to think about what nightmares I might have! I have taken two paracetamols but still I am aching all over my body. It is not good. Two paracetamols are ok - it's aspirin you have to be careful with. If you take aspirin with coffee then it becomes a very powerful drug - the same as the banned sports drugs. I remember when I was playing football once, I forgot that I'd taken one aspirin because I was not feeling well. At the break, I went with everyone else and had a cup of coffee. Well, when I went back on the field...whoosh! I didn't know what I was doing! I have never run like that before!"


He sipped his chicken soup for a while in silence, apparently deep in thought and then looked up.

“The electricity wiring in Thailand is terrible!” he pointed at the rickety fuse box above my head. “It’s crazy. I worked as electrician in England before. The English are so practical – not like in my country…”

No comments:

Blog Archive