Wednesday

23 January
Today I went to swim in Silom. Then I went to teach Amy. It was a nice lesson. Afterwards, her mum drove me home and took the opportunity to practice her English with me. We talked about families and the good and bad points of having children.

“What do you think is the most difficult thing about having children?” I asked.

“Bringing them up to be good and successful people,” she answered. “I think now young people copy a lot of bad habits from the western people. Now in Thailand there are a lot of men who are not men – gays! And there are women who are not women…do you know Toms?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Now there are so many, many! And in Pattaya it is not just girls who – what do you say? Girls who sell their bodies, what is the English word for them?”

“Prostitutes.”

“Ah, Prostitutes! Pros-tit-tutes! Now there are not just girl prostitutes but the man who sells his body to the other man…”
When I returned to Pi Baby’s cafĂ© for dinner, the Essex Boy was there with a couple of his farang friends. There were several empty bottles of Singha on the table in front of them. They’d obviously been there for a while.

“Ah, here’s Ben!” said the Essex Boy kindly.

“Hello Essex Boy,” I said. “How was your day?”

“How was my day? Well, it all depends on which way you look at it. Lots of things happened but whether it was good or not just depends upon your viewpoint.”
The Singha had obviously made him philosphical. I guess it must have been the formaldehyde...

No comments: