Friday

18 January
This morning, I did my washing. In the afternoon, I went with my Harrow student’s mum to see the latest addition to her imported car showroom – the new model Ferrari F460 in gleaming red.

It was a wonderful machine. I’m not a massive Ferrari fan – but this car was certainly special. When I sat in the cream leather seats and took the steering wheel, it felt instantly right. The instruments were beautifully simple and clearly laid out. The gears were paddle shifts behind the steering wheel. Even though this is the first of the new generation of lighter, more environmentally friendly Ferraris, everything felt reassuringly solid and of top quality. It felt like the best of the German cars.

I turned the key and pressed the big red start button on the steering wheel. The big V8 engine started into life in its glass box behind me. I blipped the throttle a few times and the needle on the rev counter swung towards the six thousand mark.

I think it was Jeremy Clarkson who once wrote that “nothing beats the sound of a Ferrari on an Alpine road. I couldn’t say, having never been to the Alps. But I can tell you that the sound of a F460 in a glass Thai car showroom is pretty awesome. It is a crackling, howling F1 roar and sounds way better than a Tuk Tuk.

No comments: