Tuesday


20 January
Today I took Mina to cut her hair. The hairdresser was a woman in her forties with a fake western style nose. She looked astonished when she saw Mina’s hair.

“Very long!” she said. “So much hair! They say that clever people have very little hair. Ok, I will cut it very sexy. I think you should dye it blonde – very beautiful na.”

“No thanks. I like it black,” said Mina, tossing her glossy locks. The hairdresser was not discouraged.

“See, look,” she said, coming over to where I sat and showing me some samples. “I think we should change it to this colour, don’t you think?”

And she pointed to a horrible orangey, brownish kind of blonde.

“If she changes her hair to that colour,” I said. “I will take her to the market and never see her again!”

“Oh,” said the hairdresser, looking disappointed. “Ok, just a shampoo and cut then.”

No comments: