Wednesday

20 February
Early this morning, I was awoken at five o’clock by a knocking on my door. I had been dreaming about dark and cold English winters and so was slightly disorientated when I got up to open the door.

My friend Mark stood there, his face gaunt and pale.

“Ben, can I borrow your kettle a moment? I’m going to this island near Pattaya with this girl and I need some coffee!”

He stumbled into my apartment and continued. “Yeah, met her on the train. She’s really sweet…”

I was too tired and confused to listen to his latest conquest. I went back to bed and returned to my English winter while he made himself coffee and then left.

Two hours later, my alarm went off. I got up, had a big breakfast and then set off to Thong Lor to teach my student who believed that Australia was part of Europe.

I took the subway to Sukhamvit, changed to the skytrain and rode it two stops to Thong Lor and then had a pleasant stroll to the school. Thong Lor is one of the few streets in Bangkok which is actually nice to walk along. For a start, it actually has clean pavements (or sidewalks, if you prefer them) that are worth walking along and blissfully motorbike free. There are also quite a few trees to provide shade.

When I was halfway to the school, I received a phone call to tell me that my student had called in sick but that they would pay me for the first hour anyway. I went shopping instead.

One of the nice things about Thailand, I mused agreeably, is that you can get paid for simply having a nice morning…

No comments: