Friday

17 January
Today Mina and I went to Siam Square with my parents. Mina liked my father very much.

“He is just like me!” she said. “He is jai rawn! And I am very proud to walk beside him because Thai people think that he is millionaire guy and I am his young beautiful wife.”

At five, I went to teach at Thong Lor for an hour and then joined Mina and my parents at the British Club. We swam and then had dinner. Later, we walked back along the Silom Road market and I stopped to look at some polo shirts.

“This is nice,” I said, picking up a dark blue one and holding against my chest for size. “But I’m afraid that it will shrink once I wash it.”

“Do not worry Sir,” said the seller, hurrying forward. “You are thin, but with a chicken chest. Believe me, this shirt will fit you just fine.”

“Thank you,” I said. “In that case, I’ll take it.”

We carried on walking. A Thai boy ran after us and handed Mina a business card.

“What is this for?” she asked.

“Farang there tell me to give you,” replied the boy. “Give me twenty baht and tell me give you quick.”

“Sorry, but I already have a handsome boyfriend,” said Mina. Another man approached her. He was in his early fifties.

“Look live sex show?” he enquired. “Just see first. If not like then no pay. Free. Ping Pong show. Fuck fuck!”

“No thank you. I don’t like.”

“Just take a look!” insisted our friend, walking beside us. “No need to pay money. Ping pong. Live Sex show. Fucking.”

“No, thank you. We don’t need to see a sex show. Our own show is the best.”

“Yes, yes! Our show the best! Come see. Live show. Ping pong. Fucking….”

He continued in this vein for another hundred yards and then slowly fell behind. His voice gradually faded into the street market din of people, traffic and music.

No comments: