Saturday

1 March

I woke up early and went to teach at Thong Lor. I returned to Huay Kwang for lunch and ate at Pi Baby’s CafĂ©.

“How are your family?” she asked me.

“They’re fine thanks,” I said. “My brother is coming out here in two weeks.”

Pi Baby pricked up her ears.

“Is he handsome? Is his skin white?” she asked eagerly.

“Yes, he is very white because now it is the middle of winter in Europe.”

“Ah, I will give him my younger sister!” she said. “She is fat and very white all over. Beautiful. Just a like a movie star!”

“You’re very kind,” I said. “I will tell him that a nice fat white girl is waiting here for him.”

“I am saving her for a good man,” said Pi Baby happily. “I will not let Mr Essex Boy have her because he is too jow chew and not rich enough.”

In the evening, I helped a 24 year girl called Nong Omm complete a work application. Nong Omm described herself as “Korean style” which meant that she put on lots of white face powder, dyed her hair reddish brown and wore blue contact lenses.

“Thai men very crazy Korean style,” she told me. “I have lots of rich boyfriends who give me money. I will buy new Motorola Razr V8 (a fashion accessory which is also a fairly average mobile phone) and Nong Omm like verrrry much! Very hi-so! My boyfriend he have two Benz. One of my kik he luke krung – half Holland, half Thailand. He is television presenter. He is verrry jealous! Always ring me. “Where are you?” Nong Omm have to say “At my house!” because I am with my kik!”

She laughed happily and then her face grew serious. “But Nong Omm not like because he make me lie and it bad to lie. So I think maybe just be friends with him and not kik. But if not kik then he not give me money…hmmm.”

I picked up her application form. She was applying to work for Sony. She jabbed a finger at it. Her fingernails were painted red with white spots like the back of a ladybird

“See,” she said proudly. “My friend he already write for me. Verrrry clever, my friend. Verrrry good English, don’t you think?”

I looked at what he had written. It was very “Korean style”.

I want to work for Sony because I have good mental hygiene and trendy attitude demeaning viscous idea for lifestyle...

No comments: