Wednesday

26 March
Today I woke up at 7.30 to find Mina in a good mood, refreshed after the invigorating argument of last night.

“Did you sleep well?” she asked.

“Very,” I said. “Did you wake up at five o’clock?”

“Yes, of course. I always wake up at five.”

“Well, why didn’t you get up then?”

“Because I didn’t feel to get up. I felt lazy.”

With that, she jumped up and proceeded to wipe the floor. She then set up the ironing board and ironed all my clothes while I ate breakfast.

I watched her suspiciously as I sipped my tea. Such good behaviour was usually a prelude to one of her arguments.

She finished the last shirt, unplugged the iron and then turned to me with a satisfied air.

“You haven’t always been truthful to me,” she began and I held up a hand.

“Later,” I said. “I’m late for work and I have a full day ahead. Save it for tomorrow or the weekend.”

Her small dark face reddened with rage. “There!” she burst out. “There you go again! Always telling me that you have to go and work hard to support me while I stay here at home and do nothing! How do you thing I feel, huh? You’re always trying to make me feel bad! Well, listen…”

“I have to go,” I said and drained the last of the tea from my cup. “I have to go and work hard so I will have enough money to feed you. It’s not easy, you know…”

“Have a good day,” she told me and kissed me goodbye. “Enjoy your class and don’t have sex with your students na.”

No comments: